Dear Parents and Carers,
In light of the current DESC mitigations regarding activities involving children from different schools we have taken the decision to cancel the MYO rehearsal on July 17th. This would have been our last session of the academic year and so we will look forward to seeing everyone again on September 11th. We would like to thank you for your support of our young musicians throughout this year and wish you a very happy summer break.
We will email this information to all parents – please check you junk mail if it doesn’t appear in your inbox.
With all good wishes,
Maggie Richardson and the MYO team.
Saturday morning rehearsals run from 10am until 12.30pm, at Bemahague (St Ninians Lower school).
We request that students arrive at least 15 minutes early in order to help set up chairs, music stands, organise their music and be ready to play for 10am. This is particularly important for percussionists as they have a lot of equipment that needs to be set up. Students are also expected to help pack equipment away at the end of the morning before they catch their bus home.
If you or you child is unable to make a rehearsal for any reason, please let the Music Service office know as soon as possible.
Bus Vannin operates a bus service for students to and from various pick up points around the island for a small additional cost. Please contact the Music Centre for more information.
PLEASE NOTE: Following recommendations from the Department we have made some (hopefully temporary) changes in the way we do things but the music making will be just as fun as ever.
1. If you catch the bus to and from orchestra please respect the personal space of other passengers. If you feel more comfortable wearing a face covering, please do wear it.
2. On arrival please wash your hands at the stations provided by the entrance doors. Alternatively, pupils may wish to bring their own hand sanitiser.
3. We will make sure every room is ventilated as much as possible by opening all doors and windows and players will be seated further apart than normal as far as is practical.
4. Groups that usually rehearse in the ‘Black Box’ drama studio will be able to spread into another room to allow for more space in between desks.
5. We won’t be swapping groups after the morning break so players will have one room base each week.
6. Break times will be staggered to ensure less crowding around the tuck shop.
7. As always, please respect the personal space of others and do not share instruments.
8. We will provide sanitising wipes for percussion sticks and beaters.
9. Brass and woodwind players in particular will need to ensure they are cleaning their instruments carefully. They will need to bring a cloth that they can take home to wash after each rehearsal. They should wash or sanitise their hands after packing their instruments away.
10. Players need to put their own chairs and stands away at the end of the rehearsal.